November 27, 2008

Thankful for Chainsaws and Turkey

Thanksgiving was most enjoyable this year. Seth and I drove down to join Mom, Dad and Joan along with both Grandpas for a day of chopping trees and eating good food.

The men-folk headed out right away to work on getting some trees down. The first to come down was a "practice" tree, but then it was on to a big one close to the house. It was decided that it wouldn't be a good idea to cut it at the base, it's a tall tree and there were worries it would hit the house on it's way down. So...it was decided that it would be a good idea to have Grandpa climb to the top of a ladder and cut the tree down from there, and then cut the rest of the tree down after. The video isn't too bad, it at least gives an idea of how tall it was. That's Grandpa wielding the chainsaw at the top of the ladder, and Dad H is on the rope. Before the tree actually comes down, Seth joins his Dad to help on the rope. I'm afraid the video really doesn't capture the big crash at the end. Oh well...



All the boys took turns cutting the wood. I'm pretty sure there will be enough firewood to get them through the winter...and probably the next ten! I also learned today that to live in Maryland two must-have items are: chainsaw and a leaf-blower. We'll work on that for Seth.

After the tree excitement it was time for some good eats. Mom H prepared a serious feast for us. I helped where I could in the kitchen, but quickly realized I'm not much help! When it came time to "roll out the rolls" I think I may have had a slightly panicked look on my face. (What? Rolls don't come from the freezer section or the Neighborhood Bakery??) Seth was the only one who dared point out that my crescent rolls looked more like whales. Ah, I try. I do feel my cranberry sauce and pumpkin cheesecake saved some of my cooking dignity.

3 comments:

Chris.Tarina.Kate.Lucy said...

Happy Thanksgiving!!

Phil, Kellie and Drew said...

Are you TRYING to make us jealous? Your holiday was like a postcard! I love it!

karen said...

i checked out your tummy. totally can't wait to rub that cute thing in a few weeks!!! you're almost poking out enough to do the "belly" dance. Maybe your belly will be big enough when you get here. Then I can show you that totally sweet dance. :)