June 13, 2012

Utah: Minin', Medals and Headin' Up

 When we flew in to Salt Lake, Hazel woke up just in time to see the Kennecott Copper Mine from the plane.  It was then I discovered Seth had never been, and it's been years since I went up there.  Time for another tourist stop!


The mine is amazing, seriously.  A little (or a lot) on the ugly side, but a total modern marvel :)  
Inside the visitors center, Hazel was drawn immediately to the "sparkly" rocks, pyrite (aka fools' gold).  She was excited they matched her sparkly shoes. 

Those trucks above?  To give you the slightest bit of perspective, they are sporting these tires:
 

The sparkly rocks were cool, the mine was super impressive, but the total highlight of the day:


The 2012 London Olympics Medals!
(The bottom row is for the para-olympics)
Because the parent company to Kennecott is based in London, Kennecott is making all of the Olympic medals this year.  (They also made the 2002 medals...of course!)  They aren't normally there, Channel 5 was doing a story on the medals and when they finished they let some of the public take a peak.  They were definitely well-guarded, but thankfully our kids didn't look like the thief-ing types.
It was pretty awesome, I was surprised by how "heavy" they are.  
Heavy Medals.  He he.
I can't wait for the Olympics to start so I can point out the medals to Hazel. 

On the way home, we swung by this awesome house...look familiar?

1 comment:

Diane said...

I've never been there! I had another friend that just visited there and posted about it too!! How fun to see the medals! Lucky!!