January 9, 2013

Grandma H


When Seth told me his Grandma had passed away, my heart hurt.  Selfishly, for myself, but even more so for Seth and his family, especially sweet, sweet Grandpa.  Oh, how my heart hurt.  She has been in and out of the hospital for a few months, and her health was not great, but it still surprised me.  I know I am just a granddaughter-in-law, but I adored Grandma H. 

I knew Grandma H better and for longer than my own grandmas, who passed away when I was little.  I "inherited" this sweet lady when I met Seth, 9 years ago.  Seth and I had the opportunity to live with her and Grandpa for 9 months when we first moved East.  And she has been a major part of our lives, and the kids' lives, ever since.  

There is so much that could be said about this sweet lady.  I have thought a lot about my memories of her, and how I will remember her.  She was a true "southerner", and I'm pretty sure she thought I was a little odd, being from "the west".  She frequently had a twinkle in her eye, and a smile on her face.  Sometimes her smile made me think she was secretly laughing at some private joke.  She loved her husband, kids, grandkids and great-grandkids fiercely, and to me, was the definition of a "gentle" mama bear.  So, when I think of her I will see that sweet smile and twinkle, and I will remember the importance of loving my kids, and seeing the best in them. 

The funeral service was beautiful, I think Grandma would have definitely approved, even if all the attention would have probably embarrassed her.

She has 13 grandsons, and 12 were there to be her pallbearers.  (Steven's on a mission).  I didn't have the heart to tell Averett he was too little to be a pallbearer, he took it on himself to fall in line with the boys.




After the funeral, Seth's immediate family went back to Grandpa's house to visit.  I hope Grandpa knows how much he means to all of his great-grandkids...and to us.  

4 comments:

Chris.Tarina.Kate.Lucy said...

I don't know your Grandma, but I am pretty sure she would approve of this sweet post. :) What a blessing to know you'll see her again, and until then, she'll be watching over your cute family, smiling at your little adventures. Lots of Love little H family!! Love you guys!

karen said...

beautiful

Laura Taylor said...

I love this post! The pictures are beautiful! I especially love the one of grandma and the group shot!!!!!!!!!

Libbi said...

I love these pictures-- I wish Tommy and I were there with y'all and for her. Thanks for doing this post!