March 15, 2008

Seth & the Pink Dryer

The following was written a week ago...

My dryer...or should I say Seth's dryer?

Oh the pink blow dryer. The bane of Seth's existence. Since it's untimely death at Christmastime, Seth has been on a mission to fix it. Although it has been replaced (thank you) by a shiny, new, pink dryer he is still determined. (Ahem, I am not overly vain, I actually need two; one for work, one for home...if you are wondering why I need one at work, maybe you should ponder on my career for a moment).

Anyway, a few Saturdays ago I was at work, which left Seth home alone. Due to his puttering nature, it was up in the air what he would find to entertain himself with in my absence. Upon his arrival to pick me up from work, I could tell from his disheveled appearance that he had been up to something. He informed me that he had been set on repairing the dryer, I could hear the faint cha-ching of a cash register somewhere in the distance. (At this point, I would like to clarify, I have told Seth numerous times that we can just replace the dryer I use at home with a less-expensive-non-cute-non-pink-non-chi dryer, since it doesn't need to be as nice as my work dryer. Those words fall on deaf ears...until today, possibly).

Well, at the risk of being long-winded, the short explanation of the dryer's cause of death, was a damaged plug. An easy fix? Not quite. To open up the plug and look inside, Seth needed a special tool. No problem, if we still lived in Salt Lake, where Seth knows the location of every specialty tool shop in the valley. Big problem because we live in Bel Air, where we are still disoriented. Seth is pretty creative so he figured out how to make the tool he needed. He set off for the Home Depot (a store we can find) armed with my dryer (to make sure the future tool would fit). Well, in his haste and glee for having found the bits and pieces needed to concoct the aforementioned tool he left the store with everything but the dryer.

Somewhere between store and home Seth realized he had abandoned the dryer at the store. D'oh! He turns around and heads back, he marched over to the cashier overseeing the self check-out and asks him if by chance he has Seth's pink blowdryer. The guy gives Seth a funny stare, and says something to the effect, of "oh, we hoped someone would come back for that" and hands it over. Seth says thanks, grabs it from the guy, and strides out of the store with his chin up as he has reclaimed the dryer. (I am proud of Seth, he is a MAN! He didn't feel it necessary to make up silly excuses, or explain how it's his wife's...nope, he took full possession of that pink dryer with all the confidence in the world! Like I said, a real man.)

Well, Seth was victorious in the dryer revival. It worked for a day and a half. It appears the damage would require more money, and really isn't worth it. Seth offered to see if he could get it to work again, but I've noticed recently that it seems it's disappeared, maybe I should check the garbage? Nah, let the little guy rest in peace.

And now the update...

Seth's victory! - the fixed, lumpy cord...hey, it works

...yesterday came the big surprise... the dryer has once again been revived, apparently it had made it's way into Seth's project pile, and not the garbage as I had previously thought. Well, it's working for now, and besides the slightly burnt smell and the occasional spark it seems to be doing well. (I'm kidding...mostly.)

2 comments:

Ashley said...

That is an extremely funny story! I am sitting at my computer laughing out loud!! Way to go Seth!

Natalie said...

Nice. Now there's a guy who will buy you tampons and midol when you need it. What more could you want?