"Hi Gewi." Hi Drew.
"Hi Seph" Hi Drew.
Seth and I have a bit of a tradition, although we camp throughout the year, Labor Day camping is a MUST! This year, the Openshaw clan (my sister, Kellie and her fam) came along. It was a lot of fun. Kellie and Phil had just bought a brand new Acadia, so, our usual camping spot, (off-road in the Uintas) was not an option, as it would cause dust on the new car. Waaah :) Just kidding. Kind of. So, we left the Bronco at home, and

piled into their sweet ride. After strategic planning, we left around noon, to benefit from Drew's nap time. In theory...(theory being the key word) Drew was going to sleep the whole way, and then he wouldn't mind his little cave we'd made for him among all the gear on the third row. Ha Ha Ha. How poorly we planned. He started getting fussy around Echo Lake (about 45 minutes into the nearly 4 hour drive) and it went down hill from there. We all attempted to entertain the kid, but somewhere in the middle of

Wyoming (I think), whatever Drew had eaten that morning (and possibly the last week, judging by the shear mass of it all) decided to come back up. He began puking, and we hurried and pulled over. Kellie turned into SuperMom and started cleaning up the muck. Once she had cleared enough puke away to uncover the poor guy, we pulled him out of his car seat, and I stripped him down on the side of the road. We all pulled together, and somehow we avoided a ripple-puke effect, as most of us are sympathy pukers. I, being a brave Aunt, took over his cave in the back seat, and after twenty minutes, the mysterious cause of his puke became apparent. I too, was feeling a bit car sick. We stopped in at the next town to buy some Dramamine, (my parents drug of choice for children) and unfortunately Drew would not take any of it. He toughed it out until we got to the campground, where he

finished off the last of his stomach contents, and then proceeded to dry-heave just to drill in the fact (in case we hadn't noticed) that he gets CAR SICK.
Thankfully, he was back to his fine spirits in a few hours. His favorite thing right now, is to call roll. We'd all be in the car, or hanging out. And Drew would start, "Daddy? Hi Daddy!" (Hi Drew.) "Mama? Hi Mama. Hi Mama" (Hi Drew.) "Hi Gewi. Gewi!" (Hi Drew.) "Seff. Hi Seph. Where's Seph" (Hi Drew.) We would play this over, and over. It was

hilarious. He always seemed so excited when we would respond.
To be honest, the rest of the trip was a pretty normal camping trip. We hiked along the rim, that drops into Flaming Gorge, (perhaps you could call it the Edge of the Gorge)! Being 1400 ft above the water, might have caused me a little vertigo. I survived. We went down and saw the dam, Kellie shot me a Look of Death when I started teaching Drew what the big cement thing was. Apparently she did not want him saying, "Oh, dam!" I don't get it.

The trip was a lot of fun, and very relaxing, we played cards, told stories, and just hung out. Since Kellie and Phil were the chauffers, Seth and I were the chefs. We had tasty hot dogs and hamburgers, egg burritos, tin foil dinners, peach cobbler...oh, and pb&j and cereal. Fine cooks, we are!
The trip was a lot of fun, thank you Openshaws for coming along to celebrate the end of another great summer!
All of our pics from the trip are in the "Labor

Day Camping" albums, enjoy!
5 comments:
Nice job on the recap! Much better than I could do - in my defense, I really DID think Drew would sleep. Besides, starting off that bad - how could the trip only improve from there?! Good times! Good times!
For some reason, the name "Flaming Gorge" always makes me think of a case of burning diarrhea...this is Byron by the way, if you didn't guess already.
So funny! We totally just had the car sick/throwing up experience with Carston going up Payson canyon. Definitely not fun! Glad that everything was good though!:)
This ride sounds like one I remember well minues the puking. I guess Drew takes after his mom. Waaaa, Waaaa, Waaa. (guess who!) Sounds like you guys had a terrific time.
ok I mean minus....
Post a Comment