February 23, 2011

{home ideas - entry}

Why, hello Visitors!!  
Come on in!  
See what Mom and Dad have been up to...
I am always mortified when a neighbor drops by and I actually have to answer the door.  Our entry way has been anything but welcoming.  
(I don't even have a "before" picture - it was so sad, just imagine a barren, empty, boring, builder paint, cobweb filled hallway...)

Oh yes, giant cobwebs and dust bunnies that looked like they could eat small children.  Seth was photographing someone, in his studio, last fall and their kid commented on the cobwebs (whoops).  Thankfully it was in October, so I just told her they were part of my Halloween decorations. 

So what, I'm not perfect.

The blue wall is the same as the one in the office, it's a crazy wall...it meanders up the stairs, over the "balcony" and pops into the office.  We painted the rest of the entry our favorite go-to gray.  
(Yes, I love neutral).

Before Christmas, my sister introduced me to her "friend" (or latest obsession), Ana-White.  Are you friends with her yet?  She's dangerous.  I'm not sure she was the best acquaintance to make while I'm "nesting".
Once the mayhem of Christmas traveling calmed down I was ready to get some things done.  
We (ahem, Seth) made this awesome bench from these plans, we made some adjustments including adding some molding to the bottom.  

I love it.
  
Annnnd, I am grateful Seth knows the importance of wood filler and sanding.  I would have just slapped some paint on and called it good.
I may or may not add a cushion to the top.  That has been bumped to the lower end of "the list".

While we were in Utah (in November) we found some knobs at Hobby Lobby (why, oh why must you be two minutes from my parents' house and an hour from my house - field trip anyone??).  
I looked at Seth and said, um...so I have this idea... and the router came out, the drill, some more wood filler, paint and poof!  

Ta-Da!  Coat Rack!
(Seth's kind of magical)
Don't worry...it's secure.  Those two little red bumps are screwed right to the studs - I dare you to pull that off the wall.
(Okay, really...don't try - I would cry if W.E.L.C.O.M.E lost, and giggle uncontrollably if you lost)
Now come visit.

We don't really use this door, we usually come through the garage.  If I were in the mood to humiliate myself I'd show you what that entryway looks like.  
Scary.
So yes, come visit.

7 comments:

Likely said...

DARLING!!!! We must come over and be welcomed. Okay, and you two have mad woodworking skills, who knew!??? Love the color combo too.

ANNNNDDDdd--- I have never known of this Hobby Lobby you speak of. Yes, field trip for sure! Where is it around here? I need some hardware for some furniture!

karen said...

someday i will have an entryway. for now, i will have to make things for other parts of my home. i love it. hopefully i will be w.e.l.c.o.m.e.d. soon. :)

Natalie said...

Ummmm......I LOVE ANA! I have built the fort bed and a king headboard for my parents...and I have lots of plans waiting for when the weather is not so freezing :) LOVE her! And your entry looks so awesome! I am kind of in love with gray right now :)

geri said...

You are all "welcomed" over! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

-Tiffany- we will definitely plan a "Hobby Lobby Road Trip Extravaganza" soon!! (I think it's in Columbia - not too bad).

Chris.Tarina.Kate.Lucy said...

I love the bright colors. Very well done guys!

How are you doing bytheway Ms. Ger?! Maybe it's because I am hundreds of miles of away, but I feel lacking in the baby boy updates!! Where are the belly photos and the sick documentation?!! And the baby prep and on and on and on... ;) I am just saying.....

I hope you are feeling well though!! So excited for APRIL!!!!

Diane said...

This looks so great! I absolutely love it. Where did you get those great boxes that are in the little cubbies? The welcome knobs are such a cute idea! I am loving all of your posts about your home projects. Gives me great ideas for the future! :)

geri said...

Thanks Diane! We bought the boxes at Home Depot, I am pretty sure they are Martha Stewart. They were cheaper than Target - yea!